Online therapy, whose importance is increasing day by day among the current psychological treatment practices, has been increasing in our country in the last few years.
WHAT IS ONLINE THERAPY?
Online therapy is a method of therapy performed with a therapist who has specialized in Whatsapp, Skype or FaceTime using the microphone and camera feature of the computer or phone.
Although online therapy seems to have been born in line with the demands of the new age, its history dates back to 1959.Online therapy applications called telepsychiatry (a concept mostly used by the American Psychological Association (APA)) started for the first time at Nebraska University in America. It used bilateral closed circuit television system in cooperation with Norfolk Public Hospital . Starting from this time, the American Veterans Association began testing online healthcare in 1995.
They have helped patients with over 2,000 psychological ailments and are still ongoing.
The most important point here is that approximately 95% of the patients receiving treatment are satisfied. This rate is statistically significant and high.
IS IT DIFFICULT TO CONNECT VIRTUALLY?
Until recently, this approach was perceived as a highly negative method of therapy. Based on my impressions, among the reasons behind this, there were issues such as the difficulty of establishing a connection by virtual means or the disclosure of personal information in some way, however, it has also become one of the most advantageous methods for individuals in the rush between work and private life.
In line with such a demand and with the green light given to openness to innovation, online therapy started to spread rapidly.
For example, at a conference held by APA in 2012, it was mentioned that online psychology applications have reached a considerable extent and became the subject of the symposium. However, the rank of online psychology has increased and there has been a lot of research into which areas it will be successful
DIFFERENT FROM THE THERAPY THERAPY TO FACE-TO-FACE?
Online therapy is not much different from face-to-face therapy. Many of the methods used in face-to-face therapy are also used in online therapies. Sometimes, online therapy can be more successful than face-to-face therapy. One reason for this is that the client is in an environment that he knows and feels comfortable in.
If the client, for example, has a panic attack problem or agoraphobia (fear of going out) for some reason , the process progresses very quickly with online therapy in the first place.
HOW IS THE PROCESS PROCEEDING?
The process begins with the client’s first communication with the therapist, and what information is needed in face-to-face therapy?
If necessary, these are requested from the client in the same way and the day is determined and the first session of the therapy begins. At this stage, one of the most important factors for the effectiveness of the therapy is the speed of the internet and the silence of the place where the client is speaking.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF ONLINE THERAPY?
- One of the most important advantages of this type of therapy is that the waiting time is less
- and the possibility of access to a psychologist is higher.
- You can continue to get help by arranging your time with a psychologist whenever you need it, anywhere in the world, whether for business or for vacation.
- Online therapy may be a better option for individuals with limited financial means. The fees are well below the face-to-face sessions.
- Many clients may approach this with suspicion, but the therapists make
- more affordable pricing because they give online therapy appointments for hours when there is no workload . As I mentioned before,
- online therapy is an ideal option for you if your workload is heavy, if you live in a different country, if you cannot leave home because of a physical mental problem or because you are caring for your child.
- It is more difficult to discuss some issues face to face due to both social taboo and personal values. In such cases, online therapy is very convenient.
WHAT IS THE SUCCESS OF ONLINE THERAPY?
Online therapy makes our life much easier, but it is not an ideal option for every psychological disorder.
For example, it is not a very suitable method for individuals under the age of 18, in the episode of a psychiatric disorder such as schizophrenia, in the acute phase of suicidal ideation, dissociative disorders, and for individuals under the age of 18 , but it is still a suitable method for follow -up interviews and psychoeducation for clients who have survived the attack period on drug treatment .
According to the latest research, online therapy is effective in anxiety, panic disorder, eating disorders, migration, complex loss and grief, post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, relational problems, migraine, career. It has shown success in problems such as school problems, some personality disorders, sexual problems, phobias, and obsessive-compulsive disorder.